Saturday, February 14, 2009

NIU 2-14-08


A year ago today I received a call from one of my classmates to make sure I was alright. I had no idea what she was talking about, then she continued to say there had been a shooting in Cole Hall. Luckily, I had class early that morning and was safe at my apartment. Ryan was over at the time and our hearts sank. We didn't believe it at first, so we looked at the school website and it confirmed what we had heard. One of my roommates was home and I told her the news. We knew our other roommate had class in a building close to where the shootings had occurred. Once the news spread, it was hard to get a call through to anyone. I got ahold of my dad and let him know that we were alright. I told him to tell mom and family. Ryan and I looked out my apartment window and could hear and see the helicopters flying around town. I was hoping and praying that everyone was safe on campus.


Ryan and I sat in disbelief....we watched the news to follow along with what was happening....then we were shocked to see one of our good friends from work being interviewed as one of the students in the room. She made it out alright, but hearing her story later sent chills up my spine and I'm so happy she made it out alright.


When Christie, our other roommate, came home she entered the living room in tears......She had seen everything happen outside their classroom window. She too, couldn't get ahold of anyone at the time. Mary and I were relieved to see her come home alright.


The year before this happened, the shooting at V-Tech occurred. I always thought it would never happen to me. Although, I wasn't in harms way, it was still a tough thing to be apart of. A couple years before I had a class in this exact room and it's eerie to think, "what if it would have happened then?"


My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of those students who passed away or had to live this tragic event. GO HUSKIES!!!

No comments: